Saturday 28 July 2007

Big Mountain Country & The Camping Gets Hardcore!

Just got back from another 4 day 3 night trek in the Peruvian Andes near the city of Huaraz.
I will start by saying that the mountains scenery and lakes were amazing but Christ it was hard work with the camping lark. My mate George thought the camping was tough on the Inca trail -I'm here now to tell you all it was 4 star my friends. It was good when sitting in a great coffee shop in Huaraz I looked up to see the flying dutchman, Mart who George mentioned was on the Inca trail with us. After a chat he was looking to go on the Santa Cruz trek same as me, so away we went. The start for me was slightly painful after one to many cocktails the night before!
We started with a bus ride to the start of the trek, my god I took a turn for the worst sitting there with a cold sweat thinking Christ this trek is the least of my problems. I managed to pull myself together especially with the views we had from the bus. Stopped off at a beautiful lake and at the top of a high pass with breathtaking views of the valley and snow capped mountains. Luckily the first day there was only 4 hours of walking to the first campsite. Half an hour before we got to camp we come across a bog and I'm not talking toilets! - chance would be a fine thing! After studying the layout I decided there was a solid mound I could jump over to. Wrong - I landed on it and disappeared up to my sodding knees in shitty water, I was absolutely soaked and not a happy bunny. To top it off I then melted my bloody shoes in the fire trying to get them dry but at least they were dry (crispy). You gotta laugh especially as the camp site was well primitive even for an hairy arsed building site worker. There was no toilet, no running water - only a nearby stream. Also my mate (the flying Dutchman) picked the crappest tent in the world. It was a small two man tent which was OK if you are a mummy or in a coma. The guide was also the cook, a good guy but not the quickest chef in the world. We ate at around 9.30 that night while the rain fell for an hour or so. You guessed it the tent was as waterproof as a wendy house. The whole sides of the tent were soaking meaning so was your sleeping bag but at least my melted shoes were dry. The next morning the tent was covered in ice and there was thick frost everywhere but when I got out that tent - the sky was totally clear giving amazing views of the surrounding mountains. The second day's walking was really hard going but the views were just amazing. We walked from a height of 3,700 metres up to a pass of 4,800 metres and, George, it was even tougher than Dead Women's pass on the Inca Trail. Again though, the view from the top of this pass with snow capped mountains right up close, with the valley below. After a cold night it was clear skies again the next day giving clear views of another range of mountains - me camera got a serious workout! One good thing was people went back to Huaraz early, meaning me and Mart got to choose a better tent. The difference was amazing to think a waterproof tent even though on the last night it did not rain, that's the Joe Mangel (gamble). After saying my goodbyes to Mart who was taking a night bus after the trek, sick man! I was in a bar in Huaraz - yes, the one I got in a mess the night before the trek. I was talking to some bloke when in walked Barney a guy who was on my Galapagos island cruise! He was with two girls and had also got back from a trek. I joined them for a drink and the early night I had promised myself went out the window. We went on to a club until around 2 a.m, its tough at the top!
Over all, a great 4 days and 4 nights. Funny how you soon forget the rough camping and just remember how amazing the trek was...
the bear

5 Comments:

coops said...

Hi mate...
Nice post! Really enjoyed that one.
I've managed to get hold of a decent tent (got it through work) it's got your name on it fella!
Is it a coincidence that you've spent a couple of weeks with The Mighty George & your frequenting of bars & clubs has increased???
Or, is it the Dutch influence???
(The Mighty G's Dutch accent is rather... errr... )
Back at the homelands as I write (overnight stop), spoke to M&K, am popping in to see em tomorrow. Text The Mighty G - no reply. Slack as a cows!!!
No worries - he's promised me he's coming down to the South Coast for some sun & fun ( you'll probably be back by then ;) )
Drop ya another message soon - beer to drink & it's rude to sit & type stuff on someone else's computer when you're visiting - apparently!!!
Ciao brother.

Anonymous said...

Hi mate,
Have finally sorted out computer and managed to get a look at your site, and its fab! The photos are awesome, and cant wait to see more. Sounds like you are having a great time, am planning on catching up with george soon to find out more. Have a brill time, will drop in again soon!! love clairex

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve its Janet here I have just had your Mum across and have seen your photograph with George its brilliant, I really enjoy your blog site and your pgotographs are brilliant, its lovely to know that you are so far away but we can trace you on your travels, keep up the good work and we will have a drink with you when you get back to Moorside Road, Lyn and I are drinking to you now, vodka and coke, will be in Cuba for New Year,s Eve, Cheers mare, Janet, Lyn and Jordan

coops said...

How's it goin' kid?
Good News!
Had loads a photos through from M&K.
Figgis' discs have got stuck due to Royal Mail strike - but they're on the move now.
Have just had an awesome disc of loads of mountain shots today. Don't know where you's are but they are fantastic! Had a real tough job choosing a select few from this lot.
Bad News...
Having a real hassle getting into your web albums at the mo. I'll keep trying to sort it out, but I've tried again tonight with no joy. Don't worry - I'll sort it asap.
Looking forward to your next post - intrigued to find out bout them mountains!
Laters...

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve. This is another letter from that Aunty of yours. I have just read all the comments but I can't find the one I sent you for your birthday. I'm sorry if I did it wrong but I sent you borthday wishes and some comments from us and ME NAN.I print out all your stories for NAN and I've but them in a folder for her(she's over tho moon and shows them to everybody) Take care Lynne and Bill xxxxxxx