Friday 30 November 2007

Argentina finished with a football feast!

Well I spent some time in Buenos Aires which I have to say was an excellent city. Good cafes and bars to sit in and watch the world go by and plenty of places to visit and hang around. Oh, and the weather was pretty good as well. I have to admit I did some serious drinking especially as the hostel I was staying in was a party place. Plenty of good people there as well, so there was always something going down every night. Could not believe it when watching footie on the TV the guy next to me was from Stoke, Bignal End. Talk about a small world. I was even more impressed when his mate told me he was a close relative of the great Dennis Smith, ex Stoke captain and one of the best players never to play for England. Let me tell you - beers were drunk and songs were sung!
At the hostel, like I said, every night something was going on. DJs, party nights, clubs, my god the whole time I was there I rarely got to bed before am. Did manage to make it to a local football game to watch Boca Juniors and what an experience that was! I thought us English lads liked our footie but Boca Juniors take it to another level. The whole stadium is going mental the whole game. It was an amazing sight when you look over to the opposite end and see the whole crowd chanting and dancing around and the noise is deafening. The opposition fans who were positioned above where we were also a little up for it, throwing tiles off the floor at us through the metal grills along with fire crackers and bottles of pop - nice! At one point they were banging something on the floor above us and I thought they were going to come down on top of us. All in all it was a great experience made better by the 4- nil win by the mighty Boca's.
I stayed a little longer in Buenos Aires than planned so I could also watch Argentina play Bolivia which I thought was a rare treat. This game was played at River Plate's stadium, which is the other main team in B.A. The stadium was a real big 'un and you even got a seat - unlike the Bocas game. Enjoyed watching the likes of Messi and Raquilmes playing. That Messi is some player and he was on fine form, some of the runs and turns he did took me back to my youth (HA - yeah right). Again the atmosphere was great but not quite as intense as the Bocas game.
In the end I managed to get myself away from Buenos Aires with my liver just about in tact. My next stop was Iguazu Falls which is right on the border of Argentina and Brazil. Managed to go to both side of the falls which is well worth while. The Argentinean side was my favourite as there is more to see and do. I have to say the falls are amazing probably the best waterfalls I have seen. There is said to be around 275 falls over a frontage of 2,470m and let me tell you there is a serious amount of water cascading over these falls. On the Argentinean side you can do a upper and lower walkway with excellent views. Including getting right over the top of one of the big boys which is an amazing sight. The size of them and amount of water joined with the deafening raw is mesmerising, helped with a nice spray giving you a welcoming cool down as it was red hot. The highlight was taking a boat out right under the falls and getting a serious soaking and it taking your breath away.
The Brazilian side is not as big but it does give you panoramic views of each section of the falls. Again you finish right over the top of a section of waterfall with great views. Managed to get some good photographs of the falls but it was impossible to show the sheer scale of them, but hey - I had a good go.
At the moment I have just landed in Rio de Janeiro where I am staying at Ipanema beach which is the next beach down from Copacabana. Great to be by the beach and ocean again as it has been a while. Hard to believe Brazil will be my last country visited here. Should be good to spend the final time on the beach by the ocean. Will be in touch soon with talk of paradise beaches... the bear

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, you seem to be travelling so quick now, you are doing well. I bet you had a surprise when you met a chap from Bignal End when you were watching football, bet you couldnt believe it and I guess you would have quite a few beers then, bet you thought you were back at home. It must have been great for you to just relax and watch football and have a rest after all the travelling you have done. I always check up on my map where you are going to next, I am really "tracing The Bear. I have looked at those falls, your photographs will be brilliant I know, cant wait. It is something to do on these horrible dark dreary nights. The weather here is very wet and really getting cold, you will feel the difference when you come home. Brazil looks quite a big country so I suppose it will take a while to get around there, I am just thinking it is just four weeks before we will be on the beach in Cuba, it is coming round very quickly now especially being just after Christmas. We shall just be settled in at the hotel for New Year,s Eve, you will be on the same time as us I think, we will give you a toast at midnight, I just dont know what to expect really but we are getting ready for a holiday now. Jordan is really looking forward to going. he loves flying and I dont mind it but I just hope that there are no flight delays. I know there is talk of a strike around that time but I just hope it isnt happening at Manchester. I believe there will be a lot of festivals in Brazil shortly after Christmas so I would imagine you will be staying for them, it will certainly be nice and you will get some lovely photographs. You will be writing about lovely beaches when it is freezing cold here with either rain or snow. I just dont know what sort of weather to expect in Holguin when we go, I know that it does rain there at times but I will take my umbrella. I like a drink anyway and at least we will be meeting people and seeing different places. I am quite looking forward to the journey from the airport because I believe you see the real Cuba then, we dont really go off the complex with it being all inclusive unless we go to the nearest little town of Guardavalaca. We will get a taxi to there probably but I dont normally leave the complex, I just like to chill out and be waited on, You must have enjoyed the time at your hostel with good food, plenty of drink and partying, it cant be bad, you enjoy the beaches you will have to come back with a nice tan. Barbara and Geoff send their regards. Barbara is going to drop you a line soon, she can do it on my computer if necessary and I will tie her on the chair. I am just going to have a drink with Lyn now a nice strong vodka and coke and we will dribk your Health, so Cheers, Take Care Steve, will be in touch again, you are doing great, carry on enjoying yourself and send us some more photographs, I look forward to the ones of The Falls, will be in touch before Christmas Janet, Lyn and Jordan

coops said...

Trust you to be across the other side of the planet and then go drinking with a bloke from Stoke!
Rare treat indeed mate watching the Bocas at home. A must footballing experience for anyone interested in the game.
So how's the beach life treating you? Hard work I bet - taking in the marvelous views!
Another big sporting occasion this weekend with the boy Hatton, will you be able to catch the fight? It may be on at a more sociable hour where you are.
Looking forward to the next batch of photos, kick back & enjoy...
Coop

Anonymous said...

Good god mate you jammy sod here is me getting slightly exicited about going to watch the rip roaring potters take over sunny blackpool and you are galavanting around watching bloody Bocas Juniors and some young upstart called messi(He ain't bad son but is he up there with the stoke john barnes Ricardo Fuller?)Again some of your photos are superb ,i don't know whether to call you Bonnington,Bill Oddy ,Indiana or Atingburgh!You will have more names than me mate soon.Had a good one the other night as Kelsall was back .The plan was for bowling , curry then wom.We got the bowling done but then ended up hanley duck all night , look what you are missing son slumming around in Rio!I know its a family show on here but a quick mention about my birthday.We went up Newcastle for the night and things were going well ,we bumped into Woody which was a nice surprise.Then we ended up in fluid and it all went pear shaped,to cut a long story short Baggerly ,Keggsy and Rylands ended up in the nick till 3pm saturday afternoon after the bouncers got heavy handed, i ended up on my arse (pushed not hit i may add )Anyway i thought it my bring a smile to your face.Take care and enjoy.George.