Thursday 30 August 2007

From The Red Hot Amazon to the Freezing Cold Salt Flats... Viva Bolivia!

A quick thanks for the happy birthday shouts, cheers, it means a lot.

I have been covering some miles over the last couple of weeks. Firstly took a flight to a place called Rurrenabaque on the Bolivian Amazon. Mind you I nearly missed the bloody plane as I was in the wrong part of the airport - not my fault the tour agency wrote the wrong place down. The airline had to send a maintenance truck over pick me up - bless 'em. Managed to arrive no worries in Rurrenabaque even if the runway was just a field! Went straight on my tour into the Amazon which started with a three hour drive on a dust road, then a two hour boat journey. Mind you, the boat journey was great as there was loads of wildlife, like crocodiles, pink dolphins and loads of birds. We stayed at camp by the river which was quite comfortable and the food was lush. Did a night time boat ride which was cool to see the crocs eyes looking at you and bats swooping down close to you.
Next day we went searching for anacondas in swamps and bogs, this time I had wellie gogs on but yes, it got so deep in parts it flowed over. To top it off we saw no anacondas as it was a little overcast so they were in hiding,what can you do when your wellies let in!?! I had to laugh as when we got back to camp the guide saw and caught, a couple of snakes. Spent four hours looking for any kind of snake in their prime habitat with no luck and they are there, right where we were staying - typical! Enjoyed the next day as we got to swim with the pink dolphins. They were a little shy but a good experience especially when you are in the water looking at the crocs looking at you. Also got to do some fishing for Piranas which I managed to bag a couple. They have some nashers on them I tell ya! The other people on the tour were cool, so managed a night on the lash with them when we got back to Rurrenabaque. It was good to have some nice hot weather especially at night, great to go out on the pop with just a Tshirt on. Was not long though untill I was back in sunny, but cold La Paz.

After a few more days in La Paz, I went to Uyuni which is the jumping off point to the highest salt flats in the world. Again, did a three day jeep tour to the salt flats and multi coloured lakes. You spent a lot of time in the jeep but the views were amazing. The salt flats were cool, with the bright white salt going on for as far as the eye could see. But the scenery after the salt flats was just amazing, it was hard to take photos to do it justice. The amount of different colours to the landscape is hard to describe. The highlights were Lake Verde which was a bright green colour with a volcano backdrop and Lake Colarado which was bright orange. My god, at night and on the third day it was bloody freezing especially with the wind which was blowing a hoolie! Hard to take photos when you are being blown off your feet and your eyes are full of tears. Still the whole three days with the scenery was amazing. My birthday here, I will remember as mainly being stuck in a jeep for fourteen hours apart for food stops & photo stops with a one year old kid, screaming his sodding head off! You people with young children have my sympathy. I could not even get a hot shower when I got back to Uyuni on my birthday night so, I had a few beers and wine smelling like a dog. No change there then.
At the moment I am in Potosi which is a nice spot - with red hot showers. Next stop, Sucre then probably Argentina...
Oh yes - I shall be on touch again soon with stories of big steaks, fine wines and lush women, until then my friends -
be good... the bear

6 Comments:

coops said...

Hi mate...

Indiana country or what dude!
What's the deal with Pirana? can you eat 'em? I thought they're suppose to eat you!
OK - did ya try the guinea-pigs? Go on - really? Just don't tell Nat if you come across any wild dogs man!
Gotta say - I'm really jealous of you hitting Argentina, I've always wanted to go there. Although are you sure you got that bit right - I reckon the stories we'll be hearing will be about fine steaks, lush wine & big women!!!

Take it easy kid
Enjoy...

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, just read your latest post and seen your photographs which as usual are very good, you are certainly getting around, good on yer, You had a different birthday mate but I bet you enjoyed it anyway, I am glad you had taken your wellies and hope you dont burn them like you burned your shoes. Your Mum was talking about the salt flats before they went away. I go on to your site everday and then tonight I found your new post, and photos. I never knew that there were pink dolphins or are you kidding, take me some photos of them if you have got some, I love dolphins, you seem to have been a bit two close to the crocs and I wouldnt like bats either, our Lyn had a shock when I told her you were looking for anacondas, she will be having nightmares, might have to give her a vodka to make her sleep, good idea, will have one myself as well, you are getting brillant with your posts I didnt realise your hidden talents, they are really good your posts and photos. I am trying to get more of the oldies like me to go on to the site and send comments, I love it but I used to work on the keyboard many moons ago, Lyn is just getting the bevvies now. I am going to try and get Barbara on the computer and Geoff, I have just seen Coops comments on about dogs, we have had a Border terrier puppy as well as Max, but darent hardly take her outside because of the great big Ridgeback dog next door, not much news from Werrington really. Its still very much the same but no smoking in pubs here, Lyn doesnt go out much now, she doesnt go to the local pubs any more, well Steve I will close now, Keep posting you are getting better every time, Take Care Janet, Lyn and Jordan

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, its Janet here, I have just looked on the internet at Pink Dolphins, I honestly didnt know that they existed, which just shows you are never too old to learn, would love a phot of one of those, also looked at anocondas, will pass on that one, need another vodka Cheers.P.S I love to see the animal photos I love that Llama, Good Night

Pie Face said...

ARGENTINA !!! Are you going in search of that cheating bugger Maradonna ? If you see him, give him a slap. They love him up here in Scotland, he's a hero, you see the locals walking around wearing Argentina team strips and Maradonna T-Shirts, hmmmm cant think why. Good luck and keep em coming.

Anonymous said...

greetings from porto pollensa weather here lush send you an e mail as soon as we get home mum

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, Lyn is watching The Geography Channel about anacondas and flesh eating leeches in the Amazon, she is itching now, glad to see your Mum has sent you a message will see them tomorrow no doubt, its back to school on Wednesday for Jordan, next year Moorside, would like any animal pics especially Pink Dolpins, Be in touch Take Care The "Trio" Moorside Road.