Thursday 21 June 2007

Doctor Doolittle in the Galapagos Islands.

Well the Galapagos Islands live up to the hype and expense. Its just amazing the close encounter you get with animals. You are obviously not allowed to touch them but I swear the wild animals are like pets, you could give 'em a tickle under the chin or a scratch behind the ear and they would not flinch especially the sea lions; half of them are on the footpaths, all over the beaches, I half expected get back to the boat and one be in me bed! Also got real close to all the land and sea birds like the Blue Footed Boobies, Albatrosses, Frigate Birds and much more, all there nesting. They are doing their mating rituals, looking after young all within 5 metres of you - some even closer.
There were also loads of different types of iguanas land and sea types of various shapes and colours. Not forgetting the Giant Tortoises which were bloody big and weird looking, with a head like ET. The scenery was not bad either lush beaches, weird volcanic landscapes like the moon with sheer cliff faces and lush blue turquoise seas.
Then we have the underwater stuff with the snorkeling been awesome. Loads of different coloured fish and massive shoals of them and nice coral. Managed to swim with sea lions which was great fun as they came well close to you - grabbing hold of your flippers and swimming so close to you it was like playing chicken with them. Also sea turtles, penguins, stingrays and loads of sharks and I still have all me limbs. Highlight of the snorkeling was seeing a Giant Manta Ray come swimming by really close, Jesus! it was massive and an awesome sight! Even the Giant Starfishes were cool lying on the bottom, all different colours I was in me element diving down to them take a closer look. I felt like Patrick Duffy, The Bear from Atlantis. The water was not as warm as I thought and you know how nesh I am!
The boat was OK and the other people on the tour were sound, had a good laugh with them as it was mainly a youngish group. The boat was a small boat especially as there were 16 of us in total. The crew and guide called the boat an economical boat, I call it a 'well tight fit mate!' The crew and guide were OK and the food was good. Mind you I got a few rollockings off the guide for venturing off the trail, what can I say - the photo I wanted needed a few extra yards and god loves a tryer! The guide even took me to one side at one point, bless him, because I was lagging behind, taking shots. I was tempted to tell stick to his guiding and leave me to take the photos and sling it!
All in all the Galapagos Islands were a major highlight.
At the moment I'm in Quenca, relaxing after last weeks exploits and still feeling like I'm still on the boat rocking. Shall head south towards Peru to meet the mighty mighty George as its the ten day count down till I meet him. All of you look after yourselves and I shall be in touch again soon - Love the bear.

0 Comments: