Friday 8 June 2007

Call Me Lance The Bear Armstrong!!

Greetings everyone.
Nice to hear the positive responses about the blog. Thought I would drop a quick line before I head off to the Galapagos Islands.
Since Quito I have been to Banos and Riobamba which are amongst some lush mountains and volcanoes. Done a bike ride in both towns and how different they were. Banios ride started great, not bad weather, great scenery with a few waterfalls thrown in. Then when I got to the furthest point of the day, about 20 kilometres from Banos it started pissing it down. Christ!
I was like a drowned rat so I decided to motor back. I seriously thought I was not going to make it, I'm not too proud to say I was knackered, me legs had gone. Mind you how I did not get run over and killed in the tunnel I had to walk through, I will never know. It must have been a good kilometre long, no lights I could not see jack!! I was walking into the tunnel walls & falling in the side ditch. I kissed the road like the bloody Pope when I got through!
Had to take the following day off recover and do some serious laundry.
Now the bike ride in Riobamba was part of a tour and was mint. We drove up to the foot of the biggest volcano in Equador, damn forgot the name. Chimbarazo I think. Its over 6000 metres high and the weather was clear so I got some great shots. Did a short walk to about 5000 metres with snow under my feet and the volcano right in me face. Then we rode the bike all the way down-hill to around 2500metres. The start of the downhill was off-road, I was in me element. Then, when we hit the tarmac I went for it - wow you pick up some speed. Got a little rollocking off the tour guide for leaving everyone eating my dust. I told the tour guide that's the Joe Mangel (gamble) my friend! Great to see snow capped mountains and volcanoes.

Bring on the Galapagos Islands...THE BEAR

1 Comment:

Pie Face said...

Tremendous again, what quality reading at work, LMFAO at the Pope quote. George of the Jungle soon to be dispatched from the Red Cow into the Peru mixer.