Friday 26 October 2007

Another Summit Conquered...

The last time I spoke to you all I was in Pucon waiting for a good day to climb to the top of a nearby volcano. I decided to go for Sunday which gave me a few days wait but, the weather forecast for Sunday was good. I could have gone for the climb on the Thursday with a couple of Irish guys who were staying at the same hostel. When the weather on Thursday morning was clear I thought I had missed my chance. When the lads got back and told me they had not managed to reach the summit as it was so hard going, I was slightly concerned. Add the fact the weather turned dreadful Friday and Saturday I thought it was not meant to be. Imagine how happy I was when I woke up on Sunday morning and the weather was perfect!!!
After getting kitted out with all the gear for walking in snow we were off... It was quite hard going and strange to be walking in deep snow. The views as we started to climb were well worth the effort though. On the last section it was particularly tough as it was well steep and windy but I managed to get to the summit. It was not as hard going as I thought it was going to be after talking to the Irish boys, I even (get this) DID NOT have a beer the night before so I would be more up for it. The views from the summit were awesome and you got a great view into the crater where the volcano is still well active. Did not manage to see bubbling lava but you could see the glow of the lava and the smoke pouring out. After a little time at the summit it was time to get back down. What a good laugh it was on the way down, you got to slide down by lying on your back with your legs in the air. Took me back to me younger days sliding down rollie polly hill on a plastic bag. Christ I got some speed up on the steep parts thinking I would never slow down in time, it was worth the wet arse I got! The whole day was perfect in the end and the weather did me proud. Mind you, I was hurting for the next couple of days or so, especially from the boots they provided you with. Felt great to get to another summit.
After Pucon I left for Baralochi which is in Argentina's lake district. Again the scenery was well nice with a back drop of snow peaked mountains as well as the lake scene. Baralochi is also a really cool tourist town, with the usual Argentinean goodies. Managed to get some good photos here as well as eating the best steak ever! Met a couple of lads from England so I have seriously been on the lash. It is definitely hard work all this drinking and sporting feast going on. Mind you with that clown Mclaren in charge of England with his sit back tactics it's enough to drive any man to drink. Heading more south in Patagonia, next stop Puerto Madryn where the whales are. I am hoping the camera gets a serious work out here.
Shall be in touch soon... the bear

6 Comments:

coops said...

A thousand apologies...

This latest post landed in my inbox on Monday. Unfortunately due to work load ( yes I do have to work from time to time ) and a severe bout of man-flu, I've only just got round to gettin this live.
Man-Flu she sez (the current Mrs Cooper), how come a little cold knocks you off your feet, when six pints of strong Belgium hop juice doesn't seem to deter your happy feet? Errr... wot she don't understand is - Belgium nectar don't give me tooth ache, joint ache & a head that feels like I'm at the bottom of one of them vats that a verucca ridden Frenchman earns a living out of transferring his Hep-b into a bottle of vintage Chataneux-du-chuffin-Pape!!! (and it's taken years of training)
Err... sorry kid - good to hear you've hit the trail again. Sorry for the satellite delay - back on track again.
Did you manage to catch the rugby? and the fact that the Jocks are puttin us to shame in the Euros? Mclaren's diplomatic ending to the F(errari)1 season?
There is good news I s'ppose - by the time The Boys From The Bridge have finished the now inevitable free-fall, I'll be able to afford a season ticket when we're playing Leeds & the Vale!!!
No - seriously - hope everything's cool. Looking forward to next photo's - Stay away from those English boys - you know what your mother's always said!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, I am so glad that you made it to the summit of the mountain and I bet you have got some lovely photographs, I bet you could have done with a drop of whisky in all that snow, I am just picturing you sliding down and getting a wet arse, hope you have warmed up and dried out, I am looking forward to some photographs of your travels because you seem to have been to such a lot of places and it is amazing to me how you are in hot spots at one time and then you are at the top of a snow capped mountain, I bet the scenery is really beautiful, I feel as though I am doing my geography again, I really have learned a lot, which just shows you are never too old to learn. Just enjoy your steak and the rest of your travels, and I can imagine how much that finger has been clicking, you are doing great, our Jordan says he is going to do that when he is older, he is very interested in the many different places and photographs, anyway Steve its lovely to hear from you, Take Care, look forward to your photos, I am going to have a vodka and coke now, Bye for now Janet, Lyn and Jordan. P.S. I am trying to get Tony to put his comments in, I will have to sort him out, he has a look at them anyway. I will have my liquid refreshment now mate and will keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

the rollie pollie hill, only bigger, fabulous!!! Good memories,got me reminising! SOunds like you are having a fab time, keep sending the photos, lots of love,
claire and duane.x

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, its Jordan here, I have just been reading your Post and I hope you will be putting some photographs of Whales on soon you will have to be careful, my Mum is very frightened of snakes, my Nannie is always checking up where you are going to next, she has got a map and is always tracing where you are, I like looking at your photographs, I hope you will tell me all about the places you have been to, I would like to see a real volcano, I think I am going to save my money and do what you are doing when I get older, I go to Moorside school next year. We are going to Cuba for New Year a place called Guardavalaca, I have seen some of your photographs of Cuba, we have got to bring Geoff a very big cigar. I will write to you again as i am going to a rehearsal for a play called Toy Story, I am a Sargeant in it, I am doing it next week. I go to a club called boulders and I did a sleepover in Wetley Rocks Church the other week to raise money for Heart Research. I will see you when you get back and have a talk to you but I dont drink beer only Red Bull round Richard and Fay,s and that gets me a bit drunk, but not often. Have got to go now Bye for now, see yer Jordan

Pie Face said...

Steven Wright, he's here again looksthee, listen, we are taking some serious stick off the jocks up here at work man, its all gone wrong in a week, after the defeat in Moscow we were greeted by the shopfloor boys doing a Cossack style dance by the print machines, but we MUST beleive that Israel can beat Russia or we will be playin' friendlies against the Taffys.

Nice to see you are still conquering Argentina, dont know if you've been to Cordoba yet, but I've heard the local cusine is top notch, "biffes a caballo" washed down with a nice Fernet Branca. Take care and stay on the beaten track.

Anonymous said...

The rollie pollie hill ,jumpers for goalposts.those were the days my friend.Shall not mention bloody sport again and i will be taking up stamp collecting next week!Just to back pie face up ,i didn't know that there were so many south africans in dundee when i was up there the other week.COME ON ITALY.Keep getting those steaks down thee fat boy.Laters George.