Friday 12 October 2007

Drinking Beer & Watching Sport - a great pastime...

I have to admit I have not done much in the way of travelling and sight seeing since my last post. Sometimes you just have to put the camera and guide book away and kick back.
I did manage to go to Valparaiso a couple of hours away from Santiago by bus. Valparaiso is a nice city with a plus side of being on the coast, so it was nice to be next the ocean again. Its also best known for its many hills rising from the mad city below. Its quite cool how you have the hustle and bustle of a major city and then a short but steep walk up to the quiet of the hill districts. As well as having great views over the city and coastline below there loads of art cafes, bars and bright coloured buildings. Great spot for a quiet coffee or alcoholic beverage (can be a tough choice at times). With the views - I did manage to get the camera out after finding a good view point which was hard work walking up and down them hills. There looked to be a nearby beach resort that sounded ok but the time I chose to go, it was overcast and grim so I gave it a miss.
After Valparaiso I went back to Santiago and the same hostel I stayed in before as it was good hostel with good facilities (a good bar with big screen TV). As you can imagine with the sporting feast that was on over last weekend I was a happy man. Imagine if you can, watching England play Australia in the rugby world cup quarter finals with a load of Aussies and then winning. The grief I gave them was sheer bliss and I do not know much when it comes to rugby but so what, you don't get many chances give the Aussies some grief. Oh the joy when I waved them goodbye at the end of the game, thanks for coming lads! You can imagine that after a couple of premiership games and more rugby games a lot of beer was drunk.

Sunday I felt a little grim but was cheered up when watching the Scotland vs. Argentina game, a couple of jocks walked in the bar. Does it get any better than this? My mates Pie and Harvey who live in Jock land will appreciate the grief I gave them. After the Argie victory I nearly went out and bought but Argentinean rugby top. I have to admit there were some good people in the hostel so I was doing some serious partying until 2 and 3 in the morning. I was almost glad when I actually left Santiago - feeling like I was pickled in alcohol. At the moment I am in Pucon in the lake district which, on first view is lush. Loads of lakes surrounded by volcanoes and mountains. There is a snow peaked volcano that you can climb nearby which has my name on it! I am waiting for a decent days weather to climb the baby so cross your fingers for me and I'll will be in touch soon to let you know how I went on.
Laters!... the bear

4 Comments:

Pie Face said...

Oh ya gotta laugh at that, firstly the Aussies take the bear backbeat then 2 upsuspecting Jocks walk in, ready to be turned around with the kilts flapping between there legs !! class in a glass. If it was the other way round them jocks would have come into the bar already wearing Argentina tops, thats how they operate up here. Im off now to purchase my Ukraine shirt with "Shevchenko" tatooed on the back. Take care my friend.

Anonymous said...

ujxlqHi Steve, I was wondering where you had got to, thought you had run off with the girl on the photograph and there you are having a beer or two and watching sports on T.V. You deserve a rest after how you have travelled. I have been looking on my map of South America to try and see where you are and where you are off to next, it does look really nice in the Lake District with the mountains and you will be up the volcanoes, just mind you dont burn your arse this time and be careful with your shoes as well. Glad you are still enjoying yourself. I feel as though I have been back to school again looking at all these places I really do admire you for travelling to such different places and love to see your photographs, I bet there will be some lovely ones of the mountains and lakes and the volcanoes, Lyn goes on to a geography channel pretty late at night, she doesnt go clubbing much now, I think she is getting old, I had a nice surprise this morning when I went on to your site and you had put another post in, its always nice to hear about where you are and where you are going to next, and it keeps me good on my computer, anyway Take Care Steve and get that camera clicking I look forward to your next photographs, All the Best Janet, Lyn and Jordan.

Anonymous said...

Sound like bloody heaven mate!It can,t get much better than sticking it up the aussies again one week then do over the frogs the next and you know how much i love our neighbours from over the channel!Lets hope we can go all the way.Shame about those jocks though at football their luck has got to run out soon come on georgia!Should be fun watching the final in dundee this saturday!Take care you jammey sod .George logging out from his deathstar.

coops said...

Good to see you're kickin back and enjoying some quality leisure time, namely beer, sport and partying.
Make sure you're back in civilisation by Saturday for the final.
Get ya sen a good bar with good beer, a **** off tv... bring on the Boks!

Be good, if ya can't be good - be good at it!